The potato masala can be made the night before. Just fry up Puris in the morning and enjoy with warmed masala.
2 - 3 Crispy's Puris
FOR POTATO MASALA
To Pressure cook
• Potato - 3 nos
• Big onion - 2 nos
• Green chillies - 3 nos
• Ginger – 1 inch piece
• Hing - 1/8 tsp
• Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
• Besan flour – 2 tsp
• Salt & water - as needed
• Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
• Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
• Urad dal - 1 tsp
• Chana dal - 1 tbsp
• Curry leaves - few
TO PREPARE PURI
1. Preheat oil to medium high
2. Fry Crispy Puri, keeping puri dipped in oil until it puffs.
3. Turn the puri and fry until golden brown.
TO PREPARE POTATO MASALA
(Can be prepared the night before)
- Wash and cut the potatoes into 3-4 pieces.
- Pressure cook potatoes. Adding a pinch of turmeric powder for 4-5 whistles in high flame. Remove and peel the skin. Mash it roughly into big pieces. Dilute the besan flour adding 1/4 cup of water and set aside.
- Slice onions,chop ginger,green chillies and curry leaves. Set aside.
- In a wide kadai, heat oil and do the seasoning part as given above. Add onions, finely chopped green chillies , ginger bits & curry leaves.
- Saute till onion turns transparent.Now add 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, salt and hing. Allow it to boil. Meanwhile add the roughly chopped potatoes and diluted besan flour.
- Boil well for few minutes till onion gets cooked well & masala reaches semi solid consistency. Switch off the flame. Add some coriander leaves if desired.
Potato masala is ready to serve with hot puffy puri !